The church of Christ dates back to the days of the New Testament (Romans 16:16) and was founded by Christ on the Day of Pentecost, AD. 33 (Acts 2), just 50 days after His ascension back to Heaven. In the years that followed, the church rapidly grew to fill Jerusalem, then Judea, Samaria, and finally the whole Roman Empire (Acts 1:8, Colossians 1:23). The church was first established in America in the 1700s in the area of the New England states.
We believe that the Bible teachers that sinners are saved by faith, repentance, confession, and baptism (John 3:16, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38), Romans 10:9-10). The church of Christ is organized with elders, deacons, preachers, and members as in New Testament times (Philippians 1:1). We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (John 20: 30-31) and that the Bible is inspired of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17), and that Jesus will return to take His kingdom (church) home to God (1 Corinthians 15:24).
We emphasize sincere worship (John 4:24), every member evangelism (Acts 8:4), godly living (Titus 2:11-12), love for each other (John 13:33-34), and helping those in need (James 1:27). We believe that it is possible to have religious unity in a day of division by simply following the New Testament pattern and putting aside human traditions.
To put it simply, the Oneonta church of Christ is seeking to be the same church one reads about in the New Testament. We aim to restore its doctrine, its practice, its lifestyle, and its zeal.
The Oneonta Church of Christ
The Oneonta Church of Christ was established in 1914. The first meeting of the congregation was held June 8, 1914, in the home of Judge John Kelton. Known to be in attendance at that first meeting were Judge and Mrs. Kelton, Mrs. L.D. Bynum, Mrs. H.C. McPherson, and Mrs. Woodard. For a time, all meetings were held in the home of Judge Kelton, until a lot and materials were purchased, and a building constructed on A Street.
The first sermon in the original building was preached by J.C. McQuiddy, from Nashville, Tennessee. Frank Moody held the first Gospel Meeting in 1915. Other prominent preachers have served the church here include N.B. Hardeman, Rex Turner, Willard Collins, S. Pittman, and many others.
The first regular preacher for the congregation was Mack Creel. Pryde E. Hinton served the congregation from 1929-1958. During hard times of the congregation, Brice Bains, Clark McPherson, and Henry Shelton were often the only adult males who were in attendance.
Mrs. H.C. McPherson, Sr., Mrs. A.S. Bains, and Mrs. A.L. Bains were devoted Christian women whose courage and energy never waivered as they worked for the church and endeavored to keep the kingdom alive in this area.
In 1957, the original building was torn down, and a brick structure was built on the same site at the corner of Second Avenue and A Street in Oneonta.
We have been so blessed at the Oneonta Church of Christ, and we are grateful to God for all of the blessings he has bestowed upon us. We look back on history and express our gratitude to faithful Christians of the past who have labored to keep the congregation going. As we reap the benefits of their labors, we hope to be securing the future for our children and grandchildren and future generations.